Wednesday, September 12, 2012

When did I stop sharing?

MINE! MINE! MINE!
At my workplace, I get to hear adults speak into the hearts of little kids all the time. A big lesson that they always instill is the value of sharing. Sharing toys, sharing snack, sharing space, in the hopes that one day, these kids would learn to share their lives.

So here we are now, as adults, living in a world where we don't share. Seriously, when was the last time you shared for the specific purpose of knowing that we were supposed to do that?

"Share with God's people in need. Practice hospitality." -Romans 12:13

Last night my roommate came back from a rather long trip. She is my accountability partner, she is my favorite friend, she is the person that challenges me the most, so her presence in my daily life was missed, especially in terms of my eating habits.

This morning, her car broke down. And that always throws your schedule into a tailspin. I had a heart issue of not wanting to let her use my car. I didn't want to share. Yes, just like that kid with a new toy that rebelliously declares it MINE MINE MINE!!!!

So I reluctantly decided I need to let her use my car to get to her job in Durham and I said this sentence and immediately wished I could take it back: "You can borrow my car, but I swear to GOD if something happens to it..."

Conditional sharing. Perhaps the worst kind. You share, but with limits and constraints that never REALLY come from a heart of giving.

So Dee took my car today, and I had time to sit at Brueggers for a while and think about what God was trying to show me. It was actually...incredible. Here are a few truths that I figured out about myself, maybe you can relate:
  1. That Ford Explorer is not mine. It's God's.
  2. I am not allowed to put conditions on my sharing. If I do, it's not coming from the right place, so it just doesn't count.
  3. When I share my things, it's awesome. When I share my struggles, it's revolutionary.
Here's the thing about #3...it is good to share. It is, in fact, a revolution to share your struggles. Someone posted on Facebook this morning: "No one is afraid to say I love you. What they are really afraid of is the response."

If I admit I am struggling, what will you say? If I admit that I am screwed up, how will you respond? If I share my pain, will you share yours?

The short answer, which I have found out by keeping this blog, is YES.

Sometimes.

But the sometimes are the times that matter.

-Liz

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you posting again.. I was getting worried about you. And glad you are sharing-it means alot to those of us you share with! :)

    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liz!

    I didnt have your email but I just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you! How are you doing and how is the eating/exercising going? Keep it up! You can do it!! I have faith in us! I love reading your blogs too :) as you already knew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yo girl! Email me whenever you want to! lsimpers@gmail.com ... I'm back!

      Delete